Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Vintage Aquariums - my new obsession

I was at my grandma's house last week looking at her home decor magazines and came across this photo:


This image has been stuck in my head ever since! How awesome is a vintage aquarium?! It just took me back to another time... another world... and I thought, "Wow, people of old wanted to enjoy fish back then too!" I know. I'm crazy. Most people would never think that way. I do. I tore out the photo from the magazine (sorry Grandma) and keep taking a peak at it. 

Maybe it takes me back to a few movies I loved in high school. Remember this scene from Romeo and Juliet? Unforgettable.


The Great Expectations remake in 1998 with Gwyneth Paltrow and Ethan Hawke also comes to mind. I can't spot any vintage aquariums in any photos from the movie, but I envision them in there somewhere, haha. I have no idea why I liked that movie. I can remember walking across the highway to Premiere Video and renting it. I was 14. 



There's not a ton of info about vintage/antique aquariums online. Here's a few I found that aren't round:



I like these ones too.


I still can't get the original one I found out of my head! I want one! I don't know where it would go in my 700 sq ft cottage, but I'd find a place! We don't need a dining table, right?


Aloha, Rebecca


4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I like it! It reminds me of the Titanic for some reason. Get a little mini one and put it on the dining room table lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are some neat aquariums! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They used to have one in Cayucos California almost like the Victorian octagonal one in front of an old home. It was there for a short time and than it was gone. I just remember being fascinated by the beauty of it!!! I had never seen one like that. Thank you for sharing!!!♥️

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HAVE THE OCTAGONAL SHAPED ONE WITH NO TOP. GLAD TO KNOW WHAT IT WAS

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!