Sunday, August 24, 2014

Acai Bowl Craving - I made my own!

Acai Bowl recipe from Hawaii

This summer I discovered my new favorite eatery on Maui: Farmacy Health Bar Wailuku. It was right across from my work, the freshest food you could imagine, and it was delicious. Problem: I moved to Kauai about 2 weeks after discovering it. Boo.

Acai Bowl recipe from Hawaii Wailuku Farmacy
Farmacy Health Bar Wailuku
LOOK at this Acai Bowl. Yes, that's bee pollen sprinkled on top. 
Acai Bowl recipe from Hawaii

While teaching dance camps, I ate one almost every day for 2 weeks. 
They were $8 a pop, but well worth it! 
It was health in a bowl!
Acai Bowl recipe from Hawaii

Papaya, strawberries, blueberries, granola and honey… oh my.
Acai Bowl recipe from Hawaii

Well, I've had enough sitting around dreaming of this delicious acai bowl, 
so today I decided to make my own, and here's how it turned out:
Acai Bowl recipe from Hawaii
Not bad!
 Even Ivy liked it, and she's a picky one. 

Acai Bowl recipe from Hawaii

So here's how I made it:

1. Blend apple juice, granola (Anahola Granola!), honey, acai blend (Sambazon from Costco!), frozen strawberries, and a few dashes of ground ginger until it's almost smoothie consistency. A little chunky is okay. Pour it in a large bowl.

2. Cut open a papaya, remove seeds, and spoon out small pieces on top of the smoothie.

3. Add some more granola and some chocolate chips on top. 

4. Eat it before it melts! 

Acai Bowl recipe from Hawaii papayas
Blessed to have fresh papaya growing in our yard!

Acai Bowl recipe from Hawaii

I had to take these pictures fast. Both the Farmacy bowl and my bowl tended to melt quickly. 
But it sure did hit the spot! I'll be eating more of these in the future. Maybe I'll find some bee pollen :)

Aloha, Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!