Friday, November 22, 2013

Are you still using Cool Whip?

Ok, so I have nothing against Cool Whip. I mean, personally I think it tastes a little like plastic when eaten alone, but other than that, I wish them the best as a brand and business. People love that stuff, and that's great!

On the other hand, there are certain things you can do during the holidays and for special occasions that put a personal touch on your eating experience. One of the things I like to do is make my own whipped cream. It's something my mom always did. I LOVE the taste of home-made whipped cream, and it's so easy to "whip" up!

It takes just a few simple ingredients:


Ingredients:
Heavy Whipping Cream (I like to use Organic)
White Sugar (again, I like Organic)
That's all!

You'll also need an electric mixer and a bowl. I've read that if you chill the beaters and the metal bowl before you begin (about 15 minutes or longer) the cream will thicken faster. 
Many recipes say to use 1 cup of the cream, with 2 tablespoons of the sugar. I disagree. I feel like I use more in the vicinity of 1 cup of sugar by the time I'm done. Here's my process:

1. Pour the Heavy Whipping Cream into a chilled bowl (all of it)
2. Pour some sugar in the Cream (maybe 1/4 cup?)
3. Mix on high
4. After a minute or two, stop the beaters and take a lick. Is it sweet enough? No? Add another 1/4 cup of sugar!
5. Keep whipping on high for about a total of 5 minutes, doing the taste test in between. Add sugar to your liking.
6. It is essential for you to keep a close eye on the last 30-45 seconds of your whipping. It will go from whipped cream to butter very quickly, and you don't want butter! 
7. Store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. 


Where do you like to use your whipped cream?


My #1 is coffee. It makes my morning caffeine fix that much more enjoyable.

#2 - desserts. I love putting it on my chocolate chip pumpkin bread I wrote about a while back.

#3 - mix it in a smoothie for added sweetness

#4 - the most obvious - PIE!


Now, if this seems overwhelming to add to your holiday preparations, DON'T DO IT. There are some things I you would never catch me doing (home made cranberry sauce, cupcakes from scratch, any type of baked bird with bones still inside... belch). We all have our gifts and tips. Home made whipped cream just happens to be mine! If you venture into this recipe, let me know!

Also, if you're really daring, check out my Pumpkin Whipped Cream!




Aloha, Rebecca

1 comment:

Talk to me!