Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Gungor Songs

As a dance teacher & choreographer, I spend HOURS on Spotify and iTunes scoping out music for work. Every semester I need new music. And I have quite the criteria: 

1. It's gotta be hip, but not "too-Top-40-overplayed" hip. 
2. It's gotta have appropriate lyrics/content. I teach students age 3 up to age... well, older than me... and I play these songs at home and in the car to prep, so Ivy is hearing them all the time. Not only do I refrain from swearing, but what they're talking about is super important to me too. Sorry K$sha, you just don't make the cut, unless I feel like cutting out every other word (which I'll admit, I've done). 
3. I have to like it! Nothing is worse than going to work every day listening to music you hate. Why would anyone do that?

Yesterday in Advanced Contemporary/Choreography class, my students informed me that I have the best music. (Ugh, thank goodness I got approval from those teenagers!) They were all, "Can you just send us your playlist?" So, students, here it is. Here's what we're dancing to, and what songs I absolutely love this month:

Bonfire Heart - James Blunt
Love Alone Is Worth The Fight - Switchfoot
Gale Song - The Lumineers
Five Hundred Miles - Justin Timberlake, Carey Mulligan & Stark Sands
The Spectacular Now soundtrack
Blue - Beyonce
Who We Are - Imagine Dragons
We Own It - Fast & Furious 6 (I cut it all up, though)
Yesternite - Gungor
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty Soundtrack
Angkor - D-Operation Drop
Dust to Dust - The Civil Wars

Enjoy!

On another note, I just really like the band Gungor. Here's my playlist of songs I like from them:

Beautiful Things
Yesternite
When Death Dies
The Fall
This Is Not The End

I'm sure there are more. Not only do they have a great sound, but they also have such poetic, impacting lyrics:

gungor when death dies all things live

gungor lyrics beautiful things

Feel free to pin these images, share them, whatevs. And go check out some of those songs. You won't be sorry!

Aloha, Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!