Monday, October 22, 2012

DIY Pallet Headboard

When we moved our bedroom furniture around, we removed the rattan headboard my parents had in there from when our house was a vacation rental. When Ivy started sleeping through the night, we put the blackout curtains from her room into our room so we could sleep better! They're plain grey and simple. NOTHING special about them, except function. They hang above our heads while we're sleeping, and I've noticed they rest on my face during the night. This has really begun to irritate me in the past month or so. There are a million ways to remedy this, I know... I've hashed through them all... The other day I asked Kit (kind of jokingly) if he would make a pallet headboard for us so that the curtains would fall behind it, not on my face. 
The next day I heard a saw and drill going outside, and I found this taking place:

My husband was making a headboard for us! When I got home from work that night, I found this:

He gave it a coat of Antique White. The next morning I sanded it down and it became really smooth. I think it was a good idea to paint before sanding, because of how rough pallets are.

I didn't want to spend any money on this, and I kind of envisioned it being a bunch of different colors. In pencil I lightly wrote the initial of which color would go on which pallet: 

Here's what transpired:

And here it is mounted to the wall above our bed!


At night, when the curtains are closed, it sits on top of the pallet, rather than resting on our faces. 


 It has the same color in it from that mirror on the left, Shiloh. Click here to see that post.


To be honest, I'm not in love with all of the colors on the headboard. It's a little too "beach boutique" for me. (According to the Homegoods Stylescope quiz I took yesterday, my decor style is Urban Funk with a touch of Boho. Click here to take the quiz) The oops yellow and the Hollingsworth Green (colors on the top right) jump out too much for me. I almost want them to be an olive or burnt orange/brown or something. They look pretty good with this bedding set, (Urban Outfitters), and they'll look great with our white Ikea set, but my new electric blue Ikea set doesn't look too hot with it. But that's the beauty of paint! I can change it up whenever I like!

So that's our take on the oh-so-popular pallet headboard. Do you have one yet?


Thanks, Kit, for making it for us!! I love sleeping without curtains in my face!

Aloha, Rebecca


8 comments:

  1. I am showing my husband this post, I have been wanting a headboard for six years! I love how it turned out. Thanks for linking up at ImPerfect Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your headboard turnd out great. I like the colors but it is great that you can so easily change them. Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been needing a headboard in my guest room for years - but my hubs has never whipped one up for me!! Love this - the different colors really make it pop!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

  4. Hey, I just read your blog, it's very interesting. Thank you for sharing it. Personally, i want to share handyman blog. for more information visit Jim handyman we provide handyman services with affordable price in Fairfax, VA. structural wood rot repair

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!