Monday, April 9, 2012

New Project for a New Baby Boy

Haven't had much time to blog. I work for a Performing Arts organization and the dance department's year-end recital is at the beginning of May. Less than a month away, so I have been spending a lot of time prepping for that. But, Monday is my day off and today I decided to really take the day off, and do a project. 

A friend had a baby recently and I wanted to make my signature bunting. Also, I have been dying to try this tutorial for a Fabric Bucket from here. So I got out my adorable Squirrel Fabric, and every piece of coordinating fabric I own, and made this:


I used these fabrics, but nixed the white at the last second. Too many solids.




Started with the triangular bunting...


Best tip ever: snip the corners!


End product:



These squirrels and birdies are just adorable. 
Those are the same aqua birdies from the pillow in this post.


 Can't go wrong with grey and white polka dots.

I don't love the black bias-tape on top, but I can't find aqua or grey bias tape anywhere! Orange would have looked good, but I doubt it would have been burnt sienna enough to match the acorns... so I had to settle for black. 


 And now for my new creation, the fabric bucket. 

The top can be folded down...


Or left up...


There's a great tutorial at http://inspiredbyfamilymag.com/2012/01/15/diy-fabric-bucket/ so I won't repeat the work they've already done...





I used felt instead of interfacing... I'm too cheap to get interfacing, plus I always forget to look for it at the store. 


Btw-- the bucket is sitting on one of the Kids Pottery Barn chairs I've been working on for forever. I've completed painting 2 out of 4 of them. See full post here.

I sewed a little X on the bottom to give it an extra element.



A look inside...


Stuff diapers, wipes, etc. in it. 


I can't get over the natural lighting that was coming in when I took these photos.


I haven't given it to the recipient yet, but I hope they like it! It was fun to do a new sewing project. It was pretty easy to follow the tutorial. I got some great new fabric today that matches Ivy's room: dark blue, light greens and pink and grey and white... and... and... just kidding. Anyway, I want to make one of these fabric buckets for her room. 

Check out my other bunting posts here and here and here.

Aloha, Becca

Three Mango Seeds


10 comments:

  1. This is darling, perfect for a new baby boy. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fabrics, lovely bucket! I want to make some bunting too - thanks for sharing! Just stopped by from 'sew darn crafty' link party! Amy from www.craftyshenanigans.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amy! The "Sew Darn Crafty" party is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors and what a great grouping! That bucket is so darn cute! Thanks for sharing!
    Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! It was so fun to make something new!

      Delete
  5. How cute! I love the fabric - what a nice gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really sweet and what great fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is so cute and we have a new baby boy grand baby coming in just a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia! Thanks for reading my blog. If you're interested, custom bunting can be ordered at my etsy shop! Congrats on the new grandbaby!

      Delete

Talk to me!